Hyper-binary resolution: I was wrong, again

I am not perfect, so I make mistakes. One of the more memorable mistakes I have made has been regarding hyper-binary resolution. More specifically, in this post I wrote that I cannot add as many binary clauses using hyper-binary resolution as Armin Biere, one of the leading SAT solver experts, and I proposed a reason that would have meant that CryptoMiniSat was doing things differently and thus better. Well, I was wrong, on multiple accounts.

First of all, there was an awful bug in the code that meant that hyper-binary resolution was not carried out on negated variables. Second, when it was decided that multiple implications need to be attached to a literal, I didn’t check for redundancy. For example, if v1 had to be connected to v2 and v3, I simply added the clauses
-v1 OR v2 (1)
-v1 OR v3 (2)
However, this may not be very efficient, since if there is already a binary clause
-v2 OR v3 (3)
then clause (2) doesn’t need to be added. The added redundant binary clauses reduced the speed of solving while adding no extra knowledge. There were many of them, too: approx 2/3rd of all binary clauses added were redundant.

Hyper-binary resolution is conceptually not too difficult, but takes a lot of thinking to code efficiently, is very time consuming and its benefits are not clear-cut. I believe the problem is that many binary clauses added this way are ultimately useless, since most are connected to variables that will soon be proved to be of a fixed value. Another possibility is that since problems are pretty structured, and it’s usually best to attack problems in a specific way (which is normally correctly guessed by the VSIDS and polarity-guessing&caching heuristics), the binary clauses added by hyper-binary resolution do not help resolving the problem given the (typically correct) attack method employed by SAT solvers. In other words, the information added is nice, but mostly unused. This is just wild speculation, and I may only think this because my code is slow — I believe Armin’s code is faster, so I should have a look.